Green Sense

The Blog of Wodhof Urban Farmstead

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Aloha From WUF 6.9.09

Aloha!
It's almost summer. We've put our plants in for the season, and can now focus on other projects. The Circle is almost ready for it's Midsummer Blot debut. We won't have creeping thyme ready for planting for a while yet. I lost quite a few seedlings due only to my neglect. Sadly, I forgot that gardens don't care if you're under the weather, that water is needed whatever I feel. So, unfortunately, our list of plants to get in the ground this week is abbreviated.
On a brighter note, the plants we do have in are doing well. I think we should be fertilizing and watering more, but by no means are the plants sickly. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong guideposts to gauge my garden's success. It's easy to focus on one indicator at the detriment of the whole; it's a very human foible. That's one of the surprises that this great project has revealed to me - how much easier it is for me to appreciate, and how much more I appreciate, the Cycle of the Year.
By the simple act of connecting with the dirt, I have begun to develop a better understanding of our universe at large. In the kneeling and turning and weeding, I see how the microscopic actions of fungus and mites effect the garden as a whole. I cannot help but to extrapolate these effects, and the implications both humble and empower me. The whole cannot be healthy, indeed cannot exist, without the health and well-being of the individual components. This is true on both the micro and the macro scale. Such deep thoughts I find in composted poo.
Pau hana, now.
Blessed be - Sy;)

No comments:

We Support

We Support
And

Thank a Soldier

Thank a Soldier
For the Right to Be Offended By Anything You Might Read on Our Pages.